Thursday, September 20, 2012

Treat Me Like an Adult?

I told my students at the beginning of the year that my class is hard and I am a hard teacher. My expectations are high, but I believe that the expectations are reachable for each and every student. Yet, every year my students complain that I expect a lot out of them. The students usually whine about the work and expectations daily. On the other hand, the students, every year state that they cannot wait to go to high school because there they are treated like adults. My response is how can I treat you like an adult if you still want me to not push you intellectually?  My question is, how do you handle this with students? Do you just keep going with it and pushing the students? Or, do you back off a bit and let it be easier for them? Is this not doing a disservice to the students in the long run?

No comments:

Post a Comment