Sunday, November 18, 2012

NCTE Conference

I am at the NCTE (National Council of Teachers of English) Conference and having a great time. I cannot believe the author's I have been able to meet along with the amount of free books I have received. Now the big problem is how I will be getting these valuable treasures home. Shipping media mail I think is what is going to happen. Oh, what problems! I have met Jon Scieszka who writes Guy's Read and Scott Westerfeld who has written among other titels the Uglies series. I was able to talk to these authors and I found out from Scott Westerfeld how he formed the idea for Uglies. He stated that a friend that was living in New York had to move to Los Angeles. Scott, among other friends, was teasing him about being in this appearance driven town. But this is not yet where the idea came from for that series. His friend went to the dentist and after his cleaning the dentist called him into his office to have a discussion about what his plan was for his teeth. "Where would you like to see your teeth in five years?" the dentist asked. His friend replied "What?!" The dentist wanted to make a plan for his teeth so that the teeth were in movie star order (e.g., perfectly straight, white, and no bad breath). Thus, the idea formed in Scott Westfield's mind, a thought that he could not believe a doctor would want to make one change who they are just to fit a mold. Great story, right?! More later about the author's I meet tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment