Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Who Are We Pushing?

Okay, it has been a while since I have let off some steam by blogging, but here I am again! Our 2nd trimester is coming to a close in a couple of weeks and as we look at grades some students have us concerned. We have also implemented "Saturday School" where students who are asked are signed up to come in for at least an hour and half for extra support. Our motto and feeling is that failure is not an option. My question comes up from some recent pondering I have been doing on my morning runs...who are we helping the most? Are we reaching the students or are we just putting a band-aid on this issue? I understand that many students learn at a different pace, thus s/he need different supports, such as more time before or after school hours. I am wondering if the student is learning that if it does not get done in class, lets say due to not being attentive, then they can have more attention at another time. Is this now becoming a learned behavior? I do see that having this extra time with students is beneficial, as many are passing in completed work and smiling as they do so (yes positive behavior supports positive feelings of the student). I just want the students to understand that this is a support system, but this might not always be there for them. Thus, students need to have the support and on-task behavior in class. I hope the big picture is seen by all!

On another note, when I was teaching a new figurative language term, consonance, a student made me laugh. As I was describing what consonance was - repetitive consonants in a few lines, usually found in poetry- and showing information on a Prezi, the students stated "Isn't that what we live on?" I looked at her quizzically for a moment and then I understood the word she thought I was saying 'continents.' I then explained what the difference was and spelled them on the board for this student as we all had a good chuckle. I love it when students feel safe in the classroom to say whatever s/he are thinking, it really makes it a better place to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment